Personal Watercraft Tours / Fishing Conflicts
Significant public comment was voiced during the public scoping period regarding personal watercraft and the existing Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS) and National Wildlife Refuge zones prohibiting use of personal watercraft in the Great White Heron National Wildlife Refuge, Key West National Wildlife Refuge, and corresponding sanctuary zones. Comments raised included the need for or against additional or existing personal watercraft regulations citing user conflicts with fisherman, kayakers, and boaters, wildlife disturbance, behavior and conduct or lack thereof. At the December 11, 2012 meeting, the Sanctuary Advisory Council passed a motion providing recommendationing that the sanctuary include the agreement between the Lower Keys Guides Association and the Key West area Personal Watercraft Co-op as part of the environmental and socioeconomic analysis in the Draft Environmental Impact Statement.
- Review and evaluate agreements addressing user conflicts.
- Identify additional changes to zone boundaries if needed.
- Review and evaluate recommendations in 2007 FKNMS Management Plan.
Relevant Advisory Council Meetings
Presentations on Personal Watercraft Tours / Fishing Conflict
December 11, 2012 Presentation: User Agreement by Lower Keys Fishing Guide Association, PWC Co-op (188 kb)
December 11, 2012 Meeting Packet: PWC Co-op and Key West Anglers User Conflict Relief Request (337 kb)
December 11, 2012 Meeting Packet: User Agreement by Lower Keys Fishing Guide Association and PWC Co-op (188 kb)
The following Motion was passed at the December 11, 2012 meeting: Motion of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council Personal Watercraft Tours / Fishing Conflict Options for Analysis in the Marine Zoning and Regulatory Review Process (pdf, 27 kb).
Note: A discussion of personal watercraft and fishing conflicts, including a maps of the agreement between watercraft tour operators and anglers, can be found in Section 2.2 (pp. 33-35) of the Sanctuary Advisory Council Regulatory and Zoning Alternatives Development Work-Plan Actions for Review and Recommendation (pdf, 4,464 kb).
Priority Workplan Items
- Shallow Water Wildlife and Habitat Protection
- Coral Reef Ecosystem Restoration
- Ecosystem Protection: Ecological Reserves, Preservation Areas and Wildlife Protection
- Artificial Habitats
- Permit Procedures and Adaptive Management
- Study Areas and Boundary Modifications
- Personal Watercraft Tours / Fishing Conflicts
- Water Quality
- Fishery Management Coordination