Alternative Funding Mechanisms and User Fees
During the scoping for the regulatory review, there were quite a few comments submitted through the public scoping process that supported exploring the use and implementation of user fees. User fees include any fee, tax, or payment, direct or indirect that must be paid to a facility owner/operator by a facility user, as a condition of use of the facility. The Sanctuary Advisory Council passed a motion on July 9, 2013 to begin examining alternative funding sources. A follow-up presentation was given at the August 20, 2013 meeting.
Relevant Advisory Council Meetings
Presentations on Alternative Funding in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary
August 20, 2013 Presentation: User Fees and Alternative Funding Options (752 kb)
The following Motion was passed at the July 9, 2013 meeting: Motion of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council to examine Alternative Funding Sources for Sanctuary Management (pdf, 20 kb).
Note: Alternative funding mechanisms and user fees are also discussed in Section 2.6 on page 38-9 of the Sanctuary Advisory Council Regulatory and Zoning Alternatives Development Work-Plan Actions for Review and Recommendation (pdf, 4,464 kb).
Priority Workplan Items
- Shallow Water Wildlife and Habitat Protection
- Coral Reef Ecosystem Restoration
- Ecosystem Protection: Ecological Reserves, Preservation Areas and Wildlife Protection
- Artificial Habitats
- Permit Procedures and Adaptive Management
- Study Areas and Boundary Modifications
- Personal Watercraft Tours / Fishing Conflicts
- Water Quality
- Fishery Management Coordination